Here we can describe more what should be posted here

TOPIC: svn connection problem

svn connection problem 5 months 5 days ago #2235

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
  • Finnish Meteorological Institute
  • Thank you received: 8
Started to get subversion error messages like this:
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://svn.hirlam.org/branches/harmonie-43rb'
svn: E120171: Error running context: An error occurred during SSL communication
when using subversion client v. 1.10.3-1+b1 from debian-gnu systems behind or not behind a firewall. Using http instead of https does not help. From ecgate there is no error, svn is of version 1.8.9 . Could it be that the server side does not recognize newer clients? Thank you for advice! And yes, git works normally but does it contain old branches?

svn connection problem 2 months 1 week ago #2282

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
Continuation, as no good ideas/solutions have appeared during the last couple of months. Inspired by this discussion: trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1981 I tried to checkout their gdal trunk that led to similar E120171 error reported on that page. Both versions svn 1.8 + openssl 1.0.1 and svn 1.10 + openssl 1.1.1 now allow to svn co gdal. For hirlam.org only the older client version work. Seems thus that they have updated subversion at the server side while we have not. Would it possible to do such an update when moving to the new hirlam.org server, that I have heard is ongoing? Git works properly, but some of the recent HARMONIE code is still under svn so it is still needed.

svn connection problem 2 months 5 days ago #2283

Hi,

Might it be that the issue was already fixed from hirlam.org?

I just tried svn v.1.10.4 and svn v.1.11.1 without any problems on cy43rb branch.

Also,if you're using svn 1.10.3 that sounds like an early development version from debian-testing, might it be that this (package version) is what is causing the problem?

Regards,

svn connection problem 2 months 4 days ago #2284

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
Thank you Martynas,

this shows that my problem is probably not related to the subversion itself. I continue getting the error also when using svn v.1.10.4, that is the latest available version in my system . Something in SSL usage as the error message says: svn: E120171: Error running context: An error occurred during SSL communication?
I have also problems with nxclient, which might be due to similar reasons. Both problems appeared in the end of last year and do not exist in the older (jessie) version of debian gnu linux.

svn connection problem 2 months 4 days ago #2285

Could you perform and post the output of:

dpkg -l | grep libssl

and

dpkg -l | grep serf

svn connection problem 2 months 3 days ago #2286

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
Does not work :

rontu@iguana:~$ dpkg -l | grep libssl
ii libssl1.0.2:amd64 1.0.2q-2 amd64 Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries
ii libssl1.1:amd64 1.1.1a-1 amd64 Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries
rontu@iguana:~$ dpkg -l | grep serf
ii libserf-1-1:amd64 1.3.9-7+b10 amd64 high-performance asynchronous HTTP client library
ii serf 0.8.1+git20180508.80ab4877~ds-1+b1 amd64 Service orchestration and management tool

Works:

libssl1.0.0:amd64 1.0.1t-1+deb8u10
libserf-1-1:amd64 1.3.8-1

svn connection problem 1 month 1 week ago #2302

Hi,

I was able to reproduce your exact problem with the current debian-testing (buster) only.

However, I cannot indicate that any (openssl library, subversion client or the serf library) version or the combination of those (if being built from straight source in other linux systems) would give the same error (e.g. replacing default openssl with v 1.1.1+ compiled with libserf1.3.9 and svn client 1.10.4 simply works).

Might indicate something in the way the current openssl (at least I would suspect that, because neither svn or serf seem to replicate the problem if build on other systems in various combinations) was packaged in the current buster release, and it might be that it simply has one of the chipers disabled.

Perhaps it's best to wait for and update if that system is not of a strategical value and something you can live with. Otherwise you would need to recompile svn from source (and that includes replacing the openssl and other stuff, really not worth the time)

As for the server part, I just noticed that it also gives a warning about the https certificate that *might* be avoided, but I don't think this is related to this issue.

svn connection problem 1 month 1 week ago #2307

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
Thank you, so waiting for openssl updates in debian, no problem. Would the command 'openssl ciphers -V' tell something useful about ciphers?
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds