Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General topics

TOPIC: Lightning indices from HARMONIE

Lightning indices from HARMONIE 4 years 11 months ago #1327

I wonder if anyone has worked with lightning indices based on HARMONIE output variables?

Lightning indices from HARMONIE 4 years 11 months ago #1328

• Eoin Whelan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
Hi Kristian,

we make (operational) use of the lightning intensity product based on vertically integrated graupel calculated by gl. According to the source code it is based on ideas and statistics from Sander Tijm KNMI.

Is this what you were thinking of?

Eoin

Lightning indices from HARMONIE 4 years 11 months ago #1329

Hi Eoin,

Yes, that was what I was thinking about thank you!

Best regards,

Kristian.

Lightning indices from HARMONIE 4 years 11 months ago #1330

Below is copy of my email-correspondance with Esbjörn Olsson (SMHI) on this topic following the suggestion of Eoin.

-o-

RE: [HIRLAM] Lightning indices from HARMONIE (General topics)
Kristian Pagh Nielsen
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2015 12:07 PM
To:
Olsson Esbjörn ‎[ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ]‎

Hi Esbjörn,

Thank you for the quick response!

From what you write, I gather that we should implement this into our HARMONIE post processing runs as well in the next DMI model update!

Best regards,

Kristian.

Sent: Friday, February 06, 2015 11:35 AM
To: Kristian Pagh Nielsen
Subject: SV: [HIRLAM] Lightning indices from HARMONIE (General topics)

Hi Kristian

We ran this product during the summer 2013 and the aviation forecasters at (then Arlanda, now Upplands Väsby) did a subjective verification of these products. We plotted both the lightning intensity and integrated graupel for them. They were very pleased with the performance of the forecasts and it is now part of the products they use for convective forecasting.

Best regards,
Esbjörn

Ursprungligt meddelande
Från: Kristian Pagh Nielsen [ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ]
Skickat: den 5 februari 2015 14:55
Till: Olsson Esbjörn
Ämne: Fwd: [HIRLAM] Lightning indices from HARMONIE (General topics)

Hi Esbjörn,

Here at DMI there is an interest in improved lightning intensity products. I am wondering what your experiences have been at SMHI with the post-processing routine:

hirlam.org/trac/browser/tags/harmonie-40...gl/grb/lightning.f90
(GRIB code: 209, 200, 0, 0)

that you implemented in 2013? We are considering this as an option in our next operational model update.

Best regards,

Kristian.

Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 10:56 AM
To: Kristian Pagh Nielsen
Subject: [HIRLAM] Lightning indices from HARMONIE (General topics)

A new reply has been posted on the HIRLAM

Message Subject : Lightning indices from HARMONIE Category : General topics Posted by : Eoin Whelan

URL : joomla.hirlam.org/index.php/forum/19-gen...s-from-harmonie/1328

we make (operational) use of the lightning intensity product based on vertically integrated graupel calculated by gl. According to the source code it is based on ideas and statistics from Sander Tijm KNMI.

Is this what you were thinking of?

Eoin

Lightning indices from HARMONIE 4 years 11 months ago #1331

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
  • Finnish Meteorological Institute
  • Thank you received: 8
Dear Kristian, Eoin. You could also check the AEMET solution, they have some experience in lightning forecast based on the KNMI code but modified for the local conditions. Javier Calvo could tell more.
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds